TWIC 19-20 - Round 06

1st Grade - LC 260 defeated by Georges River 264

Georges River 264 (Scarcella 4/89, Nirmalendran 3/29)


Lane Cove 260 (Hunt 120, Carter 61)

2nd Grade - LC 175 defeated Georges River 158

Second Grade entered round 6 of the season in red hot form off the back of 4 wins from 4 starts (we were unlucky to miss out both days due to the 1mm of rain that fell in round 2). With the lads missing a golden opportunity to claim 1st spot by narrowly missing the outright in round 5, the Georges River game at Tantallon shaped as essential in continuing our momentum.


Shocking scenes unfolded pre-game when the Captain actually sent a team email, setting ourselves up for a professional and well-organised game.


Unfortunately the start to day 1 was slow, with the boys trickling in. Pete arriving with a bottle of solo after a night with the Ashfield boys was ominous, and it was down to ex-captain Charlie to lead by example. The umpires calling Charlie over for the toss was the slap across the face that Pete needed, and we were on.


Pete won the toss and had little hesitation in batting first on what looked a good deck. Goose and Kens opened up, with Kensell losing his wicket early for an uncharacteristically slow 5. Joined by Candy, Goose raced his was to 11 before losing his wicket 61 balls into his innings. Ben batted well and lavishly celebrated his maiden Lane Cove 50, before being dismissed next ball to another stinking shot. Some inconsistent scoring partnered with 1short from Goose undoing his hard work.


Wickets in clumps cost us dearly as we stumbled to 6/90. Humey played two drop dead gorgeous pull shots for 4 before making himself look silly on the 3rd attempt, and we were in big trouble at 7/120. Humey said his judgment was impaired after 24 weeks of 9.00-3.00 days of work this year left him exhausted. After 19 years at Strathfield, it was suggested that Jonny D’Elia’s transfer to the Covies was a conspiracy to infiltrate our set-up with a spy, however a battling, hard-fought 35* put this theory to rest. Jonny dug deep with the tail to get us to a competitive, if below par score of 175. Special mention to Robbo for sticking with him, unlucky to be given out caught behind to a ball that hit his chest.


With 12 overs left in the day to do some damage, Pete threw the ball to Charlie who cleaned up the GR opener in the first over. Despite a few close chances, GR ended the day 1 down. Kiran almost got warned for negative bowling, throwing each ball of the days last over a metre down leg-side.


Day 2 was a precarious proposition with a few Xmas parties the day before and a heavy smoke haze present. There was even talk of cancelling the games due to the pollution. “I can’t believe the association is putting our bodies at risk like this” said Greavesy, half way through his 8th KFC family box of the week, and with 45 minutes of sleep. Tensions were also high between teams when the GR opener smacked a pull-shot in throw-downs straight into Liam’s Leg. Thankfully our calm-headed skipper eased any animosity, and awkward emails between secretaries was avoided.


We got off to an ordinary start with Charlie struggling for rhythm. Kiran bowled a tight line and length to a left hander, however with 2 right handers at the crease, this failed to make an impact on the scorecard. GR’s 3 then spooned a dodgy ball from Charlie straight to Harley at mid-wicket taking a comfortable catch. Another wicket to Charlie regained control for the home side and we had them 3-40.


Ben Candfield continued the trend of Englishmen taking wickets, removing the GR number 5 LBW. The batsman stood his ground, unsure about whether he too was entitled to a review like his older brother would be, before begrudgingly walking off.


In tough conditions, wickets were hard to come by with the GR skipper working hard to occupy the crease. Robbo put in some serious work, picking up our 5th by cartwheeling the middle stump in a fiery spell, before GR consolidated for the 6th wicket.


With the game drifting away from us shortly before tea, the GR keeper smacked one off Candy straight to mid-on, Pete taking a sharp catch to bring us back into it. We went into tea needing 4 wickets, GR with 35 runs required and their skipper still at the crease.


Tea came and went with no internal arguments or animosity between Covie players at all, and we resumed proceedings with Robbo & Charlie. We pegged GR right back, Robbo taking the prized scalp of the GR skipper in his 1st over after tea with a brutal short ball. Charlie consolidated our position with a caught behind to a ball a metre down leg.


With runs hard to come by, we continued to toil and reap rewards. Robbo picked up his 3rd caught behind, before Greavesy came on to experiment 6 different run-ups in a 1 over spell. With the game stagnant, and Lane Cove with a 17 run lead and 1 wicket to claim, Benny C got the GR number 11 out caught with a fine catch on the boundary from Harley.


By no means a comprehensive performance, but a satisfying win all the same. We go on next week looking to reach XMAS undefeated and top of the ladder.



3rd Grade - LC 101 defeated by Georges River 119 and 2/125

Georges River 119 (Manchester 5/44)


Lane Cove 101 (Shaik 23)


Georges River 2/123

4th Grade - LC 181 defeated by Georges River 8/273

Lane Cove 181 (Fagan 51, Cross 27, Kingston 25*)


Georges River 8/273

5th Grade - LC 0/57 defeated Pennant Hills 56

Pennant Hills 56 (Sidda 5/11, Adhikari 2/14)


Lane Cove 0/57 (N Ryan 28*, V Ryan 27*) 

5th Grade - LC 103 defeated by Mt Prichard Southern Districts 198


Mounties 198 (Sidda 6/37)


Lane Cove 103 (V Ryan 43, Zreika 33)

U24s - LC 146 defeated by Roseville 7/148

Lane Cove 146 (Matheson 37, Dowey 27)


Roseville 7/148 (Dindayal 3/33)