1st Grade
We arrived at Frank Gray Oval way too early in the morning to get out of bed let alone play cricket, and settled very quickly into the 6ft x 6ft concrete change rooms that welcomed us. 

Throw in the chilly early morning Peninsula breeze, and the choice to suit up for Round 1 instead of having a sleep in and watching the AFL grand final over a few beers wasn't exactly looking like the best decision.

Things were looking up when we won the toss, but Scarcella managed to convince Naughton to bowl first on what proved to be a bit of a lifeless wicket. Despite that, we started well with Joe and Slug tidy early on but not their usual damaging selves. A couple of early poles had the Green Men in a bit of trouble at 2/18, but they steadied well to get to 88 before the loss of the 3rd wicket.

We lost our way in the middle overs, a combination of too many bad deliveries and some rustiness in the field giving Warringah the opportunity to post a good score. We were able to bring it back thanks to a magical spell of bowling from Ravi Ravi who finished with 5/23 off 10 - well bowled mate.

Chasing 180 to win, we were in trouble early at 3/19 before Naughton and Robbie steadied the ship somewhat to get us to 58. Warringah were bowling good lines and making it tough to score, and after doing the hard work the skipper threw it away on 24. From there we were under the pump and lost a bunch of wickets trying to increase the run rate, snd were bundled out for 87.

Outplayed by Warringah in a very disappointing performance. We are much better than that and need to bounce back next week against Mac Uni.



2nd Grade


Lane Cove Second Grade started the 2019-20 season where they left off, with a comfortable win over Warringah at Tantallon. 


Arriving at the home of cricket with a strong team by his side, including a couple of debutants in the way of overseas Ben Candfield and Ashan Schokman, Pete got the season off to a flying start by winning the toss and sending Warringah into bat on a flat but relatively tacky wicket.


Ben Greaves was given the honour of the first over; however, he proceeded to bowl three wides with his first three balls to ease the nerves on the Warringah opener. Alongside Charlie Hipkin, a fairly uneventful opening ten overs followed, with Warringah making their way to 0-45. Changes in the bowling were necessary with neither openers looking threatening and with the introduction of Dr Islam and Andy Robertson, the tide began to change. Robbo had the first wicket of the season, caught at cover and then a chaotic period followed with numbers 3 and 4 both run out, one of which following excellent fielding by Candfield in the deep. With the score at 3-62 at drinks, the Covies were confident in making further in-roads to the Warringah batting attack when play resumed. Despite an excellent period of spin bowling by Islam (10 overs 0/25) and Candfield (10 overs 0/28), wickets proved difficult to come by and the batters were looking comfortable. In the 32nd over, the Covies got their break through, when Ashan had the opener caught for a solid 72. Ashan had a debut to remember, taking 3 for 14 off 4 overs to turn the game firmly in Lane Cove's favour. One more for Robertson (2 for 20), two for Hipkin (2 for 27) and another run out left Warringah all out for just 148.


Opening the batting for Lane Cove was Isaac Kensell and Ryan Devine and the pair looked in imperious touch, reaching their 50 partnership in the 13th over. Both Kensell and Devine looked comfortable at the crease and were finding runs easy to come by. Kensell in particular was providing entertainment for those watching, hitting some superb shots and sending a couple a very long way over the rope. One 6 clearing the trees by the houses on Fraser Street. Kensell brought his 50 up off just 44 balls, leaving Lane Cove in the ascendancy at 0-74 at drinks. Unfortunately, Kensell was out caught at mid-on soon after the interval and Pete Blood's first innings of the season lasted just 5 balls before being caught at slip. A mini wobble, but Candfield and Devine started building a nice partnership. Candfield looking a class above, manipulating the bowling with ease and scoring at a good rate. With the score on 2-113, Devine was given out LBW, quickly followed Lee Young and Hume being fired LBW by ex-Covie Sundar for 0 and 1 respectively. With the score at 5-120, the old second grade would be thinking the worst, but a new found resilience in this team meant this result was never in doubt. Robertson hitting the winning runs as we reached the total 6 down with 9 overs to spare. Special mention has to go to Ben Candfield, who played an exceptional innings, finishing on 40 not out to add to his 2 run outs and fantastic spell of bowling.

A great win against a good team to start the season and on to Macquarie in round 2 where spirits will be high.



3rd Grade

The Third Grade season started with a venue swap. Playing on Weldon instead of Frank Grey saw some confusion, though mostly first graders not able to read emails. However the reason for the change was the outfield which had areas of new turf that promised to be a slow minefield. The deck however, looked good. It would’ve been a tough call at the toss. It looked like the standard, “will-do-a-bit-early”, type deck with the sea breeze to help the bowlers. But alas the new captain, despite sporting the best rig in the grade, was unable to conquer his first challenge and win the toss. Warringah electing to bat first.

With My-Name-Is having relocated to Melbourne a new opening partnership was required. Crayn and Man-City opening the bowling for the first time. Both bowlers started economically with a few chances not going our way. But it wasn’t long before Manchester got the breakthrough, a great ball down the leg side, turned to 45 where Zeus took a godlike catch. The covies were on their way. A bowling changed to bring the Adelaide import into the attack saw another wicket fall, with a smart catch from the skipper. Another bowling change and another wicket, big bird opening his account for the season.

Looking for more wickets Greavesy turned to spin, though not much spin was found in Arun’s first over, as the pitch didn’t play a role in the first 5 deliveries. But the Warringah batsmen couldn’t put him away, with the pressure building until the big shot was caught at long on by Craynie. Next over the big bird struck again, with a good ball nicked off. Towards the back of the innings some good bowling and fielding kept the pressure on Warringah as they looked to accelerate. Warringah’s main man skying a full toss from Arun to depart for 80. Some good death bowling from the bowlers saw a run out from Cross, almost diving through the stumps. Warringah finishing their 50 overs at 7-210 on what turned out to be a pretty flat deck after the first few overs.

After the break the new batting partnership looked to get us off to a good start against a very chasuble total. With both Zeus and Brett Phil looking solid, however the partnership didn’t last. Next in Arun, taking guard facing the square leg umpire. But it worked and Phil Brett and Arun building a partnership. The covies were tracking well at 1/38, before Brett looked to come down the wicket and make a good offer for the shot on 20.

Chaos. The Warringah players had locked our change room and taken the key with them. Anyone not a covie was asked if they had they keys, even the people walking by. With Ross needing his pads and wicket’s falling. Eventually the key was found, but the covie collapse was in full swing. Harsha made two before three ducks sat in a row. Ross, Seymour and Golden Greaves. 5/56 and what was a gettable total now looking a long way off. Crossie wasn’t pretty, but stuck around to try and help Arrun settle the ship. He could only muster 8, but it would be the covies 3rd highest score. Arun didn’t trust the tail and was bowled trying to hit the spinner into the trees for 41. The rest of the bowlers, big bird, Crayn and Manchester look to be in a race for number 11 for the rest of the season. Big Bird’s 6 not out the best of the bunch so far.

The first half of the day was positive, great energy in the field saw Warringah kept to a modest total on a flat deck. But unfortunately a covie collapse saw us go down by 100 runs. But the signs are positive for the season ahead, and despite the loss, spirits were still high for a good season.



The Mighty 4th Grade


After an off-season that seemed to last years the 4th grade lads assembled to the sight of what looked like a belter of a pitch. There was a mixture of new and old with the likes of the refined gentleman Brian Scott complemented by the youth of Seb (the best rig in 4th grade) and Carson. Fat Skip had to let Fini (aka Short Skip) take the reigns while he recovered from his back injury.


Fini began the season in style by losing the toss and we were bowling.  A few quick poles by Harry ‘Hatchet’ Shaw and Andy followed by a debut wicket for Seb had Warringah at 4 for 60 odd. However they fought back to be at 4-150 before Brian did his age old knack of getting a wicket which then led to another flurry of wickets including a debut wicket to Subbha ‘El Cid’ Siddha. It was looking up for the Covie Boys at the second drinks break with Warringah 7-160. However that all turned when Warringah’s tail wagged harder than a dog waiting for treats and before we knew it the 50 overs were up with Warringah 9/271. 


It looked to be a tough chase but definitely a doable one on a good wicket with the renowned short KSO boundary beckoning. Out came Johnny Lyons and yours truly with his brand new stick and bogan tattoos but before we knew it LCCC were reeling at 5 for not many. Warringah did a great job at targeting the stumps and blowing our top order out of the water with the only resistance coming from Tay with some glorious hooks and pulls off the Warringah opener who could easily be playing 3rd or even 2nd grade. The Covies bounced back a bit with back to back partnerships between Tay, the new El Presidente Dave Fagan and debutant Siddha but it was too little too late and by the time LCCC were 8-100 odd the question on everyone’s lips was whether Tay could get 50 before Warringah wrapped up the tail.


It was an agonising wait with Tay staying in the 40s for way too long but he brought up his fifty with a backward cut to the cheers of the Covies watching from the stands. Unfortunately this brought out the worst in the Warringah bowlers and Tay copped bouncer after bouncer that were surprisingly not called wides. Fini called out from the sheds that you can’t get wickets from bouncers and of course by doing so jinxed Taylor into making a stupid decision and getting clean bowled trying the first audacious shot he’d played all innings. However considering he nearly carried his bat it was a good effort if I say so myself. At the end Lane Cove were all out for 122 giving Warringah a handy win.


It was not all doom and gloom however with some positive performances from debutants Siddha and Seb and a gutsy 51 (equal top score for the club this week) by TCW. The lads now head to Mac Uni next week hoping to make amends and get some more runs on the board.


Written by TCW so this was totally not biased at all





5th Grade


5th Grade was an exciting 1st round prospect, sporting as it did a large number of new members to LCCC all keen to show their cricketing credentials.

We bowled first and from my view from the Tantallon stadium this new look team was energetic and focused. There was disciplined bowling for the most part and in general a sense that our team was able to match the veteran Strathfield team. A couple of dropped catches certainly cruelled our progress and Stratfield bat very low and so the score of 8/217 needs to be seen in this light. Certainly with a couple more catches going to hand this could have been a very different game.


Notable with the ball was Pratik Kandel who seemed to get faster the more wickets he took. A new last minute recruit 19yo Nathan James looked a very consistent bowler and we hope he might join us for the season.

I was unable to see the second half but Hoody (who returned to LCCC to Captain with a positive flair) tells me the boys were pretty disciplined but however faced an experienced attack. Anusheel Jain was a feature with 30-odd. In the end Hoody reports a great sense of enthusiasm around the team and we look forward to some big wins for this crew over the season.

Thank you to Nick Sissons, Paul Manohoran, Matt Paul and Nathan James who stepped in to help out at late notice.

A big shout out to Aditk Khosa who having nearly hauled in a screamer of a diving catch dislocated his finger, but popped it in and continued to play the rest of the game. Tough bloke!

 Strathfield 8/217, LCCC All Out for 86